Thursday 2 October 2014

RHS The Garden Anthology

My RHS membership lapsed some time ago, but one thing I really enjoyed about it was The Garden magazine which arrived each month. When I was asked if I'd like to review a new book, RHS The Garden Anthology, I jumped at the chance.


Published by Frances Lincoln, ( www.franceslincoln.com ) and released today, the collection features the work of 80 of the world's most celebrated gardeners and commentators from the early 20th century to the present day, including Gertrude Jekyll, E A Bowles, James Wong and Nigel Slater.


As you can see, it's a hefty tome, 320 pages which present more than 100 years of the best writing in The Garden magazine.


The articles cover a wide range of categories from Seasons & the Weather and Wildlife & Wildflowers right through to Practicalities and Science & Innovation, and cover a huge range of subjects, What Future for Peat?, Reinventing the Dahlia and The Hidden Power of Plants, to name just a few.


I like the bold illustrations but I'm looking forward to getting stuck in now that the evenings are drawing in and having a good read. It looks to be an ideal book for dipping in and out of as each article is mostly two or three pages long, some just half a page.


I'm sure this book will be on many of your Christmas wish lists, but if you can't wait until then, the publishers are offering RHS The Garden Anthology at a reduced price.

To order RHS The Garden Anthology at the discounted price of £13.50 including p&p* (RRP: £16.99), telephone 01903 828503 or email mailorders@lbsltd.co.uk and quote the offer code APG233. 
*UK only - Please add £2.50 if ordering from overseas.

26 comments:

  1. Ooohhhh it looks good! Another one added to my Christmas wish list I think,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to some cosy evenings with this book.

      Delete
  2. I don't see Nigel Slater as one of the world's most celebrated gardeners. One of the world's most celebrated Foodies, yes. I know he has a potager-style garden, but to be honest, it is not THAT fantastic. His food, though, IS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I missed a word out in that paragraph. It's now been rectified. I consider my hands well and truly slapped.

      Delete
  3. That looks to be a book that will appeal to many gardeners, myself included. And as you say an ideal one for the Christmas list. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most gardeners would like to find this book in their Christmas stocking.

      Delete
  4. It looks brilliant, one to curl up with on those long dark winter nights, and dream of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The articles it contains are about a wide range of subjects so it will certainly keep me interested whilst I'm waiting for the gardening season to come around.

      Delete
  5. Worth getting for the illustrations alone by the looks of it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't that many illustrations in it, the book's mainly filled with lots of writing.

      Delete
  6. That looks really interesting and as above will be on my Xmas list xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoyed reading the articles in The Garden when I received it so I'm sure this book will be a winner.

      Delete
  7. You're going to end up being a professional reviewer aren't you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you've done so bad at reviewing products yourself. I get offered lots of things to review but I'll only accept if it's in keeping with the theme of the blog and it's something which would interest me. I wouldn't want to review something which I don't think readers of my blog would be interested in.

      Delete
  8. There is an article about this book in this month's copy of 'The Garden' Jo which caught my attention. After reading your review I'm even more tempted to add it on to my Christmas wish list. The editor must have had a most difficult job deciding which articles to include in the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The articles go back over 100 years so she'll have had plenty of choice. I found The Garden a really interesting read when I had my RHS membership so I'm sure this book will feature lots of interesting writing.

      Delete
  9. It looks so interesting. I'm sure this book will open my mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoyed reading the magazine when I had it delivered so I'm sure there'll be lots of interesting articles in the book.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a wonderful read, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. I'm looking forward to settling down and getting stuck in to it, I'm sure there'll be lots of others enjoying it too.

      Delete
  11. That does look really interesting! You just can't beat curling up on autumn and winter evenings dreaming with such a book in your hands!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these type of books where you can just dip in and out of it and read something different each time you pick it up. I think this is the perfect book to curl up with.

      Delete
  12. I love the day that the postman brings my copy of The Garden magazine. What a great idea to publish the best articles from across the years, a lovely book to look forward to reading when the gardening is done for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoyed receiving my copy of The Garden so I'm sure there'll be some very interesting articles in the book. I shall enjoy those from long ago and it will be interesting to read how things have changed since they were written.

      Delete
  13. Think that might be on my Christmas list. I like the idea of the features being no more than a few pages long. I can't read much more at night with out falling off to sleep. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same. It's a great book for reading a snippet here and a snippet there.

      Delete

 
!-- Start of StatCounter Code for Blogger / Blogspot -->