This is a picture of an old bath which was left on my allotment when we took it over. I've been pondering with the idea of using this to grow carrots in. I thought if I stood it on bricks to raise it a little it would be high enough for the carrot root fly to miss. Apparently the carrot root fly can only fly to heights of around 18 inch, therefore, I wouldn't have to use fleece. Also, carrots like to grow in soil which is free draining and they certainly don't like soil with stones in which cause them to fork, so by using the bath I would be able to give them exactly what they like. I'm still mulling over the idea, so I might sow direct into the ground this year and see how they do, but if I don't get a good crop I might go with this idea next year.
I was at the allotment until 9pm last night. It was such a lovely evening and after being at work yesterday it was nice to get out into the fresh air. I got some more digging and weeding done, and I got some of my strawberry plants into their new bed. The strawberry bed still isn't completely finished so I planted as many as I could, but I've still got more to go in once I've done some more weeding and digging.
I'm hoping to get my peas in soon. I have started them off in toilet roll inners in the greenhouse and they have germinated and grown well. I have already prepared their bed so they're now ready to go in as soon as they're hardened off properly.
Although there's still loads to do at the allotment it's really exciting that things are now getting planted. I'm really pleased that I've chosen to define seperate beds as it seems less daunting somehow. I'm getting a sense of achievement each time a particular bed has been weeded and dug and is ready for it's occupants. I've made a decision that I want raised beds made out of wood, but that will have to wait for now. I think that the way that I have started off the allotment with seperate beds will make this easier though when the time comes.