Sunday 5 April 2009

Busy Time At Home


Yes, I know I should be spending every waking minute trying to get the allotment into some sort of shape, but the truth is that my garden has been sadly neglected of late so I spent all day yesterday doing things which should already have been done.


My greenhouse has now been cleared of fleece which has been protecting my overwintered plants. It is still on stand by though so that I can throw it back over the pots if a frosty night is forcast.


The picture is of my mother's day present from my two children, a four tier plastic greenhouse, which I have placed inside the cold greenhouse to give extra protection to my bedding plants. They have been in the house on window sills until yesterday, but I am running out of room so I am taking my chances and moving them outside.


My cold greenhouse is only 4 foot by 6 foot and has been full to bursting with my overwintered plants as well as over 30 strawberry plants which were ordered at the back end of last year. I potted them up into pots and kept them in the greenhouse over winter as I didn't want to risk the frost getting to them outside. I moved them out of the greenhouse yesterday, however, because they have been cosseted some of them are now in flower. I have got Alice, Elsanta and Honeoye.


After sorting out the greenhouse I potted on my Peppers - Summer Salad, Aubergine - Black Beauty and Micro Tomato, and also pricked out some French Marigold - Naughty Marietta.


I am also creating a new wildlife border incorporating a small pond, so hubby got the pond fixed into place. I am still researching which flowers to plant both in the border and in the pond so more on this later.


Now that I've made some headway in the garden I will be able to focus my efforts on the allotment for a while so I hope the weather holds up this coming week.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jo

    I know just how you feel with over-stuffed greenhouses and windowsills and let's face it it's only early April! I can't wait to hear what you decide to grow in your pond and wild life border. I've got lots of spare seeds to attract bees and butterflies so it you want anything just give me a shout.

    G x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks G. I am looking for a few Heliotrope if you've got any to spare?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo

    I've got spare seed of Heliotrope 'Marine' if that is any good? How many do you want?

    G x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi G,

    That would be great. I'm only after a few, enough to raise a couple of plants. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll pop some in the post tomorrow. It's a good choice - it looks and smells lovely and the insects like it too. :)

    G x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks G. I look forward to receiving them.

    ReplyDelete

 
!-- Start of StatCounter Code for Blogger / Blogspot -->