This is how my leeks look at the moment. I'm a little worried about them as they don't seem to be thickening up very well, nor are they the lovely green colour of my allotment neighbour's. I think the state of my soil has alot to answer for. Having only got the allotment in March of this year, I have been planting out and hoping for the best. Obviously this method is not going to provide the best crops. I'm in the process of sourcing some well rotted manure so that I can add it to the beds shortly and hopefully next year I will have alot more success.
The weather over the last week has been really good and I've managed to get to the allotment every day. On Saturday my daughter went to her friend's house, so it gave us the whole day to work on the plot. Preparation for next year has started in earnest, and we have also started to clear the part of the plot which so far hasn't been touched. The strawberry bed has now been fully weeded, and all the runners have been removed. Some of these have been potted up to increase the number of plants I have, so I should get a good crop again next year.
The seed catalogues have started dropping through the letterbox. I've started making a list of flowers I want to grow at the allotment for cutting. I have seen lots of pictures on other blogs of Zinnia, and this is one flower already on my list. I also want to grow some small sunflowers, as I think they look so lovely in a vase, as well as some large sunflowers as I like to dry the heads for the birds.
I'm still harvesting huge amounts of French and runner beans. The plants aren't showing any signs of slowing down so I think I'll have plenty more to come.